Thursday, November 27, 2008

Really Thankful

This year, on Thanksgiving, I realized how thankful I am for several things I had taken for granted previously. Two days ago, I suddenly had an allergic reaction, to an antibiotic (didn't know that at the time). My body was covered head to toe in burning itching hives. I could not sleep, sit, lay down or stop moving for 24 hours. After vising my doctor on Wednesday Morning, I was given several meds to get the rash under control. My rash continued to progress, so my Doctor suggested I go to the emergency room, due to their fear that my air way may be compromised. I spent several hours in the emergency room with a team of doctors that were trying to figure out what was wrong with me. They were all very kind people and did what they could to make me feel comfortable. A few hours after they sent me home, the rash began to subside and the few particularly painful areas dulled out a bit. I was able to sleep 5 hours that night and woke up feeling significantly better. I'm still not 100%, but I was able to make some pies for thanksgiving (pecan and pumpkin, with store bought crust of course!). My friends who were coming over ended up making almost all of the food and cleaning up entirely after the meal (as I took a nap). They were a real joy to be with even when I was not feeling my best.

I'm so grateful that I'm not in the hospital right now. And that I have good health insurance and many great hospitals to choose from. I'm so thankful that Brian canceled his day to be with me and that my work place did not give me a hard time for calling out sick again this week for two days. I'm Thankful that this holiday was not one where I worked like crazy to entertain others, but my friends really provided for me. I can't say it enough, I'm just really thankful.

4 comments:

Anna said...

Susan,
I am also so thankful that you are starting to feel better.

That is very scary and I will be praying for you.

Unknown said...

Thanks for a wonderful evening! Your pies were both scrumptious and I can't wait to breakfast on some leftover pecan, a little "hair of the dog"!

Eustace Bright said...

my, my... how scary. i'm glad you're on the mend...

Susan said...

I just had a follow up appointment with my doctor this morning and all is well. I feel great. Thank God that's over! Everyone has been so kind.